Aggressive Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently got into fishkeeping (my tank has been going for about 2 weeks now). I've completely ignored any fish that was aggresive in any way. I figured I would have enough problems trying not to kill them without them trying to kill each other!

Now I'm already thinking ahead to my next tank (addicting hobby) and I don't want to have such a limit on my options. So how do you know what goes with what? If I just get a bunch of aggresive fish, will they all leave each other alone? What about mixing aggresive and peaceful fish in the same tank? I imagine this is done all the time, but how do you know what to do?

I just recently got into fishkeeping (my tank has been going for about 2 weeks now). I've completely ignored any fish that was aggresive in any way. I figured I would have enough problems trying not to kill them without them trying to kill each other!

Now I'm already thinking ahead to my next tank (addicting hobby) and I don't want to have such a limit on my options. So how do you know what goes with what? If I just get a bunch of aggresive fish, will they all leave each other alone? What about mixing aggresive and peaceful fish in the same tank? I imagine this is done all the time, but how do you know what to do?

How big is your next tank going to be? I have a 55 gallon tank with semi aggressive fish, and also some community fish that are bigger. I haven't had any problems with the choices of fish I have in mine. It depends on oh big your tank is gonna be, because aggressive fish will need a lot of room to make territory, and hide when they need too from fish, that are picking on them. There is a chart some where on the net that I came a crossed that showed fish compatibility. I'll look around and see if I can't find it again

It depends on the type of fish and tank size. Some of my fish are doomed to live in solitary for life, others are still real aggressive but only towards fish it sees as food.

Give us an idea on what you plan on keeping and we can recommend from there.

as stated above if you give us some ideas of what you are hoping to keep we can help you figure it from there (and we need to know tank size!)

Well I'm not really in the market for my next tank yet, but I'm probably going to go for a 55 gallon, definitely nothing less than that.

Definitely interested in:

Dwarf Gourami
Pictus Cat
Tiger Barbs
Black Ghost Knifefish
EDIT: German Blue Ram
EDIT: Flowerhorn

Last edited:
Ah.. well those aren't aggressive :D

Those would all do fine together. Tiger barbs are fin nippers so that would be the extent of your problem.

Back
Top Bottom