Aggressive molly advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.B.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My first post, but I need some advice, patience with this newbie please...so I have a 10 gallon tank with a Cory catfish and I had 2 silver mollies (inherited the tank) I lost the larger male molly yesterday. Being that the 10 gal tank is a bit small for mollies anyway, I was hoping to naturally and patiently phase them out of the tank. However now that the male is gone, the female is constantly nipping at and harassing my Cory. To complicate matters further, I believe my male molly died from Ich, which was hard to spot on a white fish. I started treatment with meds due to the advanced condition, but it ultimately did not help. The other 2 fish seem fine, but I’m unsure if I should introduce a new fish at all right now without continuing the Ich treatement to be sure it’s gone for my other fish. I’m wondering if I should go get another silver molly to prevent this aggression from the single molly, or if there is another type of fish more suited to the 10 gal tank that would keep the molly company and help her be less aggressive. I do not have another tank or option to remove or find a new home for the molly. Advice appreciated!

Maybe a platy or another molly. Mollies are generally social fish and definitely more cories but before doing that definitely treat them.

Yes, I was hoping that the molly is social enough to be kept company by something besides other mollies. I have been told that mollies are more suited to a 20+ gallon tank. Any advice in the meantime? I’m not sure how to know if the ich is gone sine the fish that had it is now gone, and the other 2 don’t currently have it, and I don’t know what to do to keep the molly from nipping my Cory

Well, you could get some sort of hiding for your cory. Or you could get danios or neon tetras to distract your female From the cory

I do have some hiding spots, but he seems to just sit there and take it. Perhaps he’s not bothered by it due to his armor. Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at platies, danios, or guppies for future stocking options in general. I may have to add a couple sooner than expected

Back
Top Bottom