Aggressive platy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SofiaMG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a new 30 gallon setup, fish in cycle with 3 platys. I do water changes about twice a week. Water temp 78. Ph at 8.2 consistently. I am pretty diligent about caring for the tank. Ammonia down to 0, nitrates

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream.
-Malcolm Muggeridge

That is a pretty high ph. Lower it to about 7.0.

It also may be that you have 2 males and 1 female, and the males are fighting over the female.

So I have a new 30 gallon setup, fish in cycle with 3 platys. I do water changes about twice a week. Water temp 78. Ph at 8.2 consistently. I am pretty diligent about caring for the tank. Ammonia down to 0, nitrates

-Malcolm Muggeridge

Hello Sof...

When you cycle a tank with fish, the procedure is to test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you change one-quarter of the tank water and replace it with new, treated tap water. When you have several daily tests with no traces of the above toxins, the tank is cycled.

I would add some Hornwort or Common water weed (Anacharis). Just drop some individual stems into the tank. They'll help steady the water chemistry a bit.

Three female Platys may provide enough waste to cycle the tank, but males are considerably smaller. You may not have enough fish to cycle that much water. But, give it a go.

B

Okay, unfortunately I never finished my post, little kids and mart phones don't mix.

30 gallon tank.
1 sword plant, several anubias, one Java fern.
PH still consistently 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates about 20.

Tank running since beginning December. 3 platies added December 26th. 2 males one female. I believe, going by shap of anal fin. But female smaller than males.

A couple days ago added several more fish. 2 Moscow guppies (male) and 2 female mollies.

This one aggressive male platy (Archer) goes up to each fish, seemingly seeking out the other male (Jeffery). As soon as he finds him he starts attacking. Jeffery has spent more time hiding. Jeffery has ended up with his dorsal fin torn a couple of times. The female platy began hiding too.

Today I put Archer in an isolation tank. Does it ever resolve anything? Are the plastic tanks that go in the fish tank safe to use? I figured I would leave it at night?

-Malcolm Muggeridge

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425252857.437226.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425252904.854093.jpg

-Malcolm Muggeridge

If you don't want to take him back, I would get more females. It's sad to me to put him in the little box...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you don't want to take him back, I would get more females. It's sad to me to put him in the little box...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Feeling bad too. Taking him out now. Will monitor again tomorrow.

-Malcolm Muggeridge

Back
Top Bottom