Agressive Male Platy help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roboto87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there, I've recently joined the community and I'm in the midst of cycling my new bioorb 30L upgrading from my 13L nano cube.

Aside from the upgrade - I'm having an issue with my platy's and I'm not sure what to do? I think I do know the answer but I wanted to check with other more experienced people on here and ask for a possible solution. I started my tank with one male platy and over a month or two, stocked 3 more male platys. Until about 2 weeks ago I realised the pet store had given me one female platy - that's 3 males and one female.

Please understand I'm totally new to this so I'm still learning and I know how stressful it can be for a female platy with 3 males chasing her - but, this isn't the case - the larger of the males has become incredibly territorial and agressive, if it sees another male he will charge at him and chase him away and he's constantly trying to mate with the one female.

It's gotten to the point where the only way I can stop him harassing the rest of the fish is to put him in the small net to 'time out'. But after a while I feel bad as the net is tiny... so put him back in and it's back to being a bully.

As stated earlier I'm only just starting my other tank cycle - so I don't have another place to put him.

I wanted to ask what should I do? The issue is - all of the other fish without the agressive male are perfectly fine very chilled out and not in the slightest bit agressive or harassing the female. My Bioorb has at least another 3weeks minimum of cycle to get through so I cant separate him? A bit frustrated that the pet store sold me a female even though I asked specifically for only males. But it is partly my fault for not being so clued up! Would appreciate ANY advice... :thanks:

There isn't really a lot of options here until the other tank cycles. I have multiple tanks with platies and if I have more than one male to a tank there will always be an alpha. If I were you I wouldn't worry until you actually see signs of nipped fins or damages to the other fish.

If that becomes the case it's time to return one or separate them.

Keep us posted, hope this helps.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom