AH supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert H

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am curious how many people here have bought compact flourescent lights and retrofit kits from the famous AH supply? (not the AH supply that advertisers here, AHsupply.com does striclty lighting retrofit kits, and seems well know to many people)

Do you like the product? Was it easy to set up? How were the instructions?

I bought their 6 X 55W brite light kit. Built the canopy myself. The instructions were clear and it was very simple. I did make one change from their instructions however. I added another inch of height to the canopy. Glad I did because it gave me a bit more working room.

HTH

If you're confident in stripping wires and doing basic electrical... then I recommend AH supply. I bought the 2x13 Watt Bright Kit for $14.99 and upgraded my 10 gal hood. This was great cause I couldn't find a solution to upgrading it until I heard about ahsupply.

I did have to goto Home Depot to buy a 1" drill bit to drill in the hole for one of the vent thingies (the drill bit was $5) ... one of the bulbs would overheat and shutoff (this was no surprise as they did explain it in all in their instructions). I thought I'd try to get away without the vents and couldn't. They seem to know what they're doing.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm

For those who are not sure about cutting and stripping electrical wire... then it's not for you.

I have 2x13W Deluxe Bright Kit installed as a retrofit in a hood originally equipped with incandescents and no reflector. Set-up was a little tricky but mostly due to the physical limitations of my hood, which isn't AHSupplys fault. Instructions are straightforward, but I think it would have been better with pictures (many aquarists have put up their own supplemental photo howtos on the net, example: http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/36retro/index.html). My only complaint is one of my bulbs seems to have weak glue where it joins the connector, despite a glass cover between it and the water surface, and is sagging after ~1 month. Still, I feel confident ordering from them again and for now write this off as a fluke or user (me) error.

BTW, their customer service seems excellent, as they send a prompt email with the tracking number and invitation to call or email should it be needed.

I've got their 1x96w Bright Kit and enclosure over my 30G and have to admit that the reflector is by far the best I've ever seen. I'm not much of an electrician but I was able to wire it up with no problems following their instructions. Combine that with their prices and they're hard to beat :)

I've ordered their 2x13 kit for my 10 gallon and it was pretty easy to do. (well, in all fairness my husband did it :) )
They have really good customer service, they sent me an email after I ordered my kit to make sure I didn't want bulbs added to my order (since I did forget hehe). I also ordered bulbs from them a few days ago, they ship really quick! Highly recommended!

Ok, I'm slightly confused (and I can't get the AH Supply advertising banner to display, otherwise I'd know the answer)

Are you talking about www.ahsupply.com that ONLY sells power compact lighting...
or
www.ah-supply.com - which sells tons of aquarium related products, including lighting?

(I ain't slept much this weekend)

I'm assuming you mean the 'lighting only' place. Their stuff is great, and if you ask for the wiring instructions, it'll be easy. I know nothing more about wiring than 'black to black, white to white, green to green' and I was able to wire 2 1x96 kits and fully install them in a canopy in well under an hour, which included drilling holes/mounting reflectors.

:p
People tend to skim forums so there's no reason to worry about proper grammar on-line. I also don't use the spellcheck button.

I don't think Malkore is lacking in the grammar department, lol!

I have used AHSupply retrofit kits and they are very easy, the customer support is excellent, and you cannot beat the price. If you are not sure what you need, just call them and they can get you fixed up. I agree with Travis that their reflectors are superior.

I have also had a bit of confusion about AHSupply versus AH-Supply, so we gotta keep them straight. :?

Back
Top Bottom