ahhhh sand!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snifflyfro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've set-up my 20 gal long tank with sand and it's a huge mess. I'm using regular play sand. I washed it a few times before putting it in the tank. I think my big mistake was putting it in dry. So i put it in and the water was very very dirty looking. After it was in for a while i turned on my filter and this morning it was a little better but not great. I made the mistake of putting another plastic plant in and all the sand got stirred up again. Any suggestions?? How do you guys do it?

I've read that once the fish are in and the bacteria colonies begin to settle in the sand it will settle down, but I don't want to put fish in a tank that looks murky.

In my filter I can add media as well as use the standard filter (emerior cranked to the lowest flow rate), should i go out and get some more carbon?

Thanks

One of those clarifying products might help. They make the fine particle stick together so that the filter removes them better. Another option is to just change the water a few times until it stays clear. A small plate under the water stream can keep it from stirring up the bottom when you refill the tank.

Actually most of us avoid clarifiers (aka flocculants). They do clump tiny particles, but the particles wind up mostly on the bottom and not pulled into the filter.

I'd do a bunch of water changes to get most of the cloudiness out; as savga suggested putting a plate on the surface of the sand and gently pouring the water over it will reduce clouding.

I washed it a few times before putting it in the tank.

There is your problem. Play sand is very dusty, and needs to be washed until there is no more sediment running off the top when it is disturbed. I have a cannister filter with a special micron filter pad that is used if my water gets dusty.

Would the extra carbon help?

Yes, an extra carbon pad will help, but will need to be replaced (or at least removed) when the water is cleared. If you don't want to invest in a canister filter, you might want to look into something like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tid=4638&Ne=40000&R=9716&Nao=162&N=2004+22768
You would need a powerhead, but overall it's a pretty cheap setup and can be used whenever you need it.

I know its way too late but I just put sand in my new 55 and I used Sand blasting sand from the local hardware store. Its way cleaner then playground sand, I tried to wash it out but there was next to nothing floating up.

Plus as you found out, you want to add the sand while its wet and your tank is full of water.

I went the play sand route and had no problems. I rinsed it twice and then put on a sponge prefilter on my filter intake and viola!--clear water.

Back
Top Bottom