Aiptasia - always a pest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I found out it is possible to sell aiptasia anemones: Sea Anemone (Aiptasia), Living | Carolina.com

Guessing this means we should all let aiptasia take over our reefs then? :p

On a serious note, it is interesting to see aiptasia being shown as a tool for learning, specifically in classrooms with kids. IMO it is still better to show kids the colorful, more exciting corals that build reefs rather than sting and infest them.

If only rbta were as hardy or cheap lol. It makes sense to use aiptasia to show things like regeneration and asexual reproduction since they're super hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are also aiptasia and majano that are actually good looking anemone. I have read accounts of people buying them off of people for that reason and almost having a species tank. Not really my cup of tea, but to each his own.

If only rbta were as hardy or cheap lol. It makes sense to use aiptasia to show things like regeneration and asexual reproduction since they're super hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If only :p
Seems like a good idea, but if you're going to setup a saltwater tank for students, it wouldn't hurt to make a nice tank that can keep anthelia and gsp. Even majanos would be better than aiptasia lol

There are also aiptasia and majano that are actually good looking anemone. I have read accounts of people buying them off of people for that reason and almost having a species tank. Not really my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Ya I've seen some nice looking majanos, some being bright green and not as spiky as aiptasia. Just seems like if you're looking for visual appeal though there are endless "traditional" corals and anemones available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom