Aiptasia growing on snail shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for aiptasia to grow on the shell of my snail?

I've had an unidentified anemone (not aiptasia but looks similar) on one of nassarius snail shells for over a year. He goes under the sand with the snail and he's still there and still alive. Lol

Aipastia will latch on and grow on anything in the tank. I have had them on the actual polyps of my palys and every piece of plumbing as well. I've also had them on alive moving snails and hermits but they seem to detach sooner than later in those instances. lol

Is the shell an alive critter? if not take the whole thing out and call it a day, you DO NOT want them to spread cause it's the worst thing in my couple years of experience that can happen. Green algae and cyano aint got nothing on those freaking aipastias.

Yes, it was on a living snail. But it looks like it detached. Are aiptasia actually harmful? Or just aesthetically displeasing?

They can sting fish and coral. :-( They multiply faster than rabbits too so best to nip it in the bud when you get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom