Aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are a few ways. there is a commercial product called aptasia-x, you can use a syringe and inject them with various things, like vinegar, kalkwasser paste, lemon juice...

Can I just pull the rock out the water and squirt lemon juice on it?

no. the aptasia will retract in the rock and when you put it back in and the lemon juice washes away, it will re-emerge.
if you are pulling the rock out, just use a screwdriver and chip away a little of the rock with the aptasia on it, and toss it in the trash. make sure to get it all.

why not chip it off and put it in a refugium, they look kind of cool and if i remember right just have a habit of stinging fish and corals

Gti_Leo said:
why not chip it off and put it in a refugium, they look kind of cool and if i remember right just have a habit of stinging fish and corals

What's a refugium

well its not a sump it is like a refuge for micro algaes, fish, corals and any otehr live stock that can't be kept in your display tank, due to attacks or they are aggressive. it also houses the microalgae as nitrate and phosphate filters to help keep water pollution down.

google them

I first noticed aptasia in my fuge. Trust me, they will make it to your DT, and by the time you notice 1 in there your in trouble. I've been using aptasia-x to try and get them all, it works well. It is however an on going battle that seemingly will never end lol

they do split and spread. i don't know if they can send spores through the return pump, but when in doubt....

you could always get a few peppermint shrimp to try and help control the outbreak of them.

i think they are rather cool anemones which is why i would say keep it, but i don't know how they spread so i won't doubt anyone

I used aphasia x on the big ones and got a few peppermints and that solved my problem. The peppermints won't eat anything over an inch though so you gotta get the big ones. That aptasia x really works too.

I dropped a peppermint shrimp to take care of my problem but haven't seen the shrimp in acouple of days lol

How long should I wait before I start adding anemones and coral in my tank?

For nem's you should wait a year and they need strong lighting. Corals can be added as long as your tank has cycled and your water parameters are good and stable.

Back
Top Bottom