Air in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avcc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please can someone help. I have a community tank and im running a fluval u4 filter. I can set up my filter to produce alot of bubbles/air in the tank but with lots of air it produces alot of algae on the lid (and the plastic part of the lid which covers the lights). Also with alot of air going round the tank it looks like ive got lots of bits floating but when you look closer you can see its just little bubbles.
Well heres the question - is it better to have more bubbles, less bubbles or no bubbles?
One more thing a friend of mine dosnt have any bubbles and his water looks very clear and i thought you had to have bubbles but he thinks you only need water movement.
So please any suggestions would be great :) thanks in advanced.

Do you have an Airstone/Bubbler as well? I have the Fluval U2 and use it together with an airstone.With the airstone bubbling away I have it set up so the water pumped through the filter pushes the water from airstone from one side to the other. So I always have the water circulating, dont have much problems with algae and the little bits I do have the Panda corys deal with that. The fish/shrimps love it and my plants grow well and look healthy too.

Does your tank get much direct sunlight, since that is also sometimes a factor with lots of algae.

Hi thanks for replying so quick. Yeah ive got a bubbler thing where you can put it to any shape you want but i also use my u4 filter to create bubbles by putting it near the top of the water. But my water always looks like i got bits floating around when i havent.
I dont get no algae in the water cos my pleco always keeps it clean. The only algae problem i get is on the lid but my friend dosnt get this problem and i think its cos he dosnt have bubbles, do you think this is right?
My tank is on the opposite side of my room opposite the window wall so i would say its not the sun light.
Do you think i should keep the bubbles or get rid of them and keep the filter right under water?
Thank you for your help

Bubbles will cause the water to hit the hood and because the lighting is there it will cause algae. I just use a wet rag (one used only for our tanks) and wipe the glass/plastic down when I do my usual cleaning.

I have a u4 as well the venturi valve is adjustable as well as the directional nozzle just aim your flow towards the bottom and adjust the air until you only have very small bubbles that won't build up water on the lid when they pop at the surface

Yeah thats what i do is wipe it off but its annoying it comes back so quick.
So you think its ok to have alot of bubbles and it looks like little bits when it isnt?
Thank you for your reply :)

Or why dont you set the fluval on the underwater stream? Should be setting B on the controller knob.

Shadyfish ill give that a try and see what happens. Maybe it wont look like bits floating around then. Thank you :)

Warthog, yeah thats what im asking, should i put the filter under the water so it dosnt produce bubbles or is it best to have bubbles cos i can stop then but wasnt sure how it would effect the fish ie. Would they stay on the top of the water or not?

AV you cant try it, see how they (the fish) take to it. Where that setting I find is also a benefit, is, it also gives the plants movement if you have real plants planted in the tank. Let us know what you decide on.

You certainly don't need any 'bubbles' in the tank. For me, I think they look ridiculous, but everyone has their opinion. What you need is surface agitation. If you look at the top of the water and it looks calm, you need to do something to break it up a bit.

I was under the impression that small bubbles in the flow of the water speed up the oxygen exchange

Not at all. Surface agitation does. All the bubbles do is break the surface, the same as aiming your flow up at the surface, allowing gas exchange. Most people are under the assumption that those bubbles are adding oxygen to the water, which they're not.

Same here shadyfish i always thought bubbles added oxygen to the water but now i know they dont i think im going to put my filter right under the water with no bubbles. Then ill just leave my bubble tube going. I always thought that fish needed bubbles or else they would be at the surface getting air so i take it this isnt true?

Yeah i see your point. Thank you very much, ill take off the bit that causes the air then put the other bit on and lower the filter but point it towards the surface so its still moving the surface water.
Thank you for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom