Air Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious how many people use air pumps (just for bubbles) in their tank? I have a 44g and I like it better with the bubbles off, I think the fish do too...is it really necessary to have an air pump running? I have more than enough filtration through my filter...will that put enough oxygen in the tank? I've been reading that air pumps (on there own not hooked up to a filter) are not necessary and don't even put more oxygen into the water...anyways just curious AA to peoples thoughts on this :)

No air pumps in my tanks. My HOBs do a perfectly adequate job of aerating the water, even with the tanks filled all the way to the glass canopies.

Air pumps do add oxygen to the water with surface agitation as well as the air from the pump that dissolves into the water.

Ya I think I will pull mine out. I have a corner tank so it's narrow and deep. With the bubbles on the fish lose out on swimming space. Since turning it off my diamonds are swimming with the current from my filter...it's cool to watch them! Thanks for your input :D

I have them in all my tanks. I use the suction cup strips so the fish lose no space at all as it goes up one side of the tank glass. Just got into the habit of using them and haven't stopped I guess. I also use it to help with the water flow... My 75 gallon has floating plants and to keep them in the middle I have the Fluval FX5 output turned TOWARDS the glass on one side (so it spreads out on the glass and disturbs the fish less, the bubbles rise on the opposite site and the flow rates towards the center on the surface evens out. My floating plants stay exactly in the center and don't ever get stuck.

Back
Top Bottom