Air pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know of an airpump that makes no noise at all, but I used to have a whisper pump that I laid on a washcloth, and I could barely hear it. Alot of the vibration you hear is it vibrating against the surface it's on.

I also had a whisper pump as well. I ended up suspending it from a string and that drastically reduced the noise, plus I put about six feet of tubing to move the pump away from the tank (and where I sit)

HTH

I have a few Tetratec Deep airpumps with rubber feet - they're very quiet. I have one in my bedroom and another near my desk at work. You just have to place them so that the housing isn't touching anything solid.

The quietest pumps I have found are Rena Air pumps. I have a 200 and a 300 on my wife's 45. They are quiet enough that I can watch TV in the same room without turning it up. The second best I have found are the new curved whisper pumps. I bought two 40's and set them up tonight. They are almost as quiet as the rena air pumps. The rena Airs are still the best, but the new whispers are a good second choice, since they are so much cheaper.

I have had a few no name pumps and I have a decent one that I got from my LFS, but its no where near as quiet.

My mom has a Penguin 150 Biowheel filter that makes NO NOISE at all. Like. Not a sound. I am going to be getting one for my 10 gallon tank in my room. But its amazing and soundless.

I had a pump running in the room next door, and there was a horrible buzzing noise in the room the tank was in. I finally realized that a significant amount of the pump noise went down the airhose and into the tank, where it reverbrated into the tank room. Go ahead, put your ear up against the tank glass and see what you hear. I actually built mufflers to put in-line for the airhose that worked. As time went on, I decided to live without an airpump for my tank. I have seen air pumps placed in glass jars to reduce noise too. I guess I find them all too noisy.

I have two of the new curved designed whisper air pumps - a 40 gal on the community tank and a 20 gal thats shared between the two betta tanks. The 20 gal size is right behind my ear while I'm sitting at my desk and I cannot hear it AT ALL until I get about 2 ft away from it. Its not inside a cabniet and from 3 ft away I honestly can't hear it.
I've heard that placing them on a sponge can quiet a noisy pump, but with these two there's no need at all for that.

My air pumps that I used to have were really noisy, when I wrapped them with a rubberband most of the noise went away for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom