Air Stone / Aeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT1FirebirdSLP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the importance of buying an air pump and putting an air stone and all inside my 28 gallon bow front. I have heard some say I need it, others said don't worry about it. I mean I understand, it has something to do with the oxygenation of the water but the water has a lot of surface area. It also seems like most of the fish go to the top of the tank to take a "breath". I'm confused and hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

the surface of the water is where gas exchange takes place. The surface of the water needs some movement in order for the gases in the water to exchange with gasses in the atmosphere.

Easy way to explain this might be that a still bit of water will turn stagnant while a bit of water with motion to it will remain viable.

In most cases, some people would say, the water fall action from a hang on back filter will give enough aeration. Others say you should also have an air stone. For the $15-$20 it's worth getting a small pump and an air stone. At least in my opinion.

what kind of filter or power heads do you use. i dont run a single air pump in any of my tanks to aerate the tank. are you sure you just dont have top dwelling fish?

But doesn't there need to be some sort of surface motion? Either a stone, HOB, or power-head?

I think not only the aeration but turbulance produced by an airstone help the fish live a more comfortable life and also show their natural behaviors. I know my fish congregate around the airstone.

I dislike the aesthetics of airstones or bubble wands so I don't use them. Even the 120 (which is filtered by 2 canisters, no HOB) is just fine without it. If you have a filter that is appropriately sized for the tank, it's really up to you.

There may not be any air stones in nature, but there is no wind in an aquarium either. The wind causes surface movement in nature; the air stone is a simple way to generate surface movement.

I have an extra air pump lying around. I was considering using it to aerate my filter media. I would run an air line with an attached air stone into the filter. It is an external penguin filter, that hangs on the back of the tank. Is it a waste of time or will it be beneficial to my tank?

yeah would be the movement of the water. I know for the CO2 the tinier the bubbles the better for it to blend into the water.

co2 and air is two different things. the water movement is just the bubbles popping for the most part. if you need more water movement you should get a power head.

true they are different... just wasn't making myself clear. Too tired and hungry from work *lol* The movement, ripples/waves are more important.

It is not just wind and aeration. A lot of the species we keep would naturally live in tidal areas, large lakes with currents and even turbulant rivers. I have other people with huge tanks talk about never seeing their kuhli loaches and cory cats. I see mine all the time, at the bubble areas ;) It is, IMHO, the easiest way to produce variable, turbulance--not just steady movement or dull stillness.

I like the look of an airstone-driven bubble stream done right, in certain set ups. I think my airstone helps lift some water in an otherwise "dead-spot" that lacks current... It DEFINITELY creates turbulence and breaks up the protein skin on the water surface, allowing oxygen exchange. I have a high-bio load with tight fitting glass lids to curb evaporation, and I feel it's helping get some oxygen not into the water column, but UNDER the lids...

And it's fun watching some fish discover they can take a ride in the lift created by the rising bubbles... I am convinced some of them enjoy it, lol...

Back
Top Bottom