Airstones- function or show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sagar77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a general question. Do airstones help aearate a small tank that already has an adequate power filter?

I ahve a 30 gallon tank with a power filter. I use airstones for show. I have an air-wall at the back and i pass some air over an inclined piece of glass. It looks pretty. however, I only start the airpump when I ahve company to make the tank pretty. I keep it off most of the time to save power.

Sagar

They're pretty much for show...unless you've duct taped the lid to your tank on... :D

The airpump shouldn't require much power, not compared to other things like your filter or the lights.

Thanks, SittingDuck! I thought so.

By the way, I read your livestock. Does your Angel fish not eat your neons?

Sagar

airstones do HELP airate the tank water. Help not the only way. Any form of surface agitation will airate the tank.
There are times when the airstone would be of great help such as when you're treating the tank for ich using the heat method.
so they are for both

My fancy goldie tank has the canister filter set up to provide a diffuse, gentle current and darn near zero surface agitation. So I use airstones. I bet most HOB filters splashing back into the tank don't need an airstone.

i want to get some airstones, just dont have the air pump :( i wish they just would fizzle when you have them in the tank so you dont need the pump

and with my tank i dont care about the heating or the electricity because the church pays for that

:D

why would the church pay for that? And if so, why would you want to take something form the church?

Hey Rudy,
If you can't get an airstone because you don't have a pump, why not just get a small powerhead filter? IMO They cost about the same if not cheaper and it is extra filtration aswell. Well that is what I did.....

Air stones are mainly for show...you should be fine as long as you have a good filter and keep up with your water changes etc.

If you're going to do it, I highly recommend getting the ceramic ones. I've tried several different types of "stones" and many of them are horribly uneven and don't look very appealing. Stay away from the plastic greenish tube kind for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom