algae, algae, algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heavyhootz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got green, rust color(brown), algae (I suppose) starting to over take my tank(my argonite ,and live rock). What spicies do I use to get rid of this.
I've got a 45 hex, 170 penguin filter,powerhead, argonite sand, 23 lbs of figi rock(cured), heater, pink tip ananome, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 blood shrimp and 20 blue legged hermits. I've had this tank set up for about 2 months.
I've added conditioner plus in the water and ph buffer and thats it.

I would suggest trying to figure out what is causing the problem in addition to the "band aide" approach.

The snails and the crabs only hide the problem. If your going to solve the problem long term, look for the source. What are your parameters, specifically your PO4 (phosphates), and trates. What kind of water turn over do you have? (low circulation can contribute to algae problems) How old are your lights and how long do they stay on each day. How much do you feed and how often? (excess food can contribute to high po4 and trates which can be food sources for algae.)
:D

HTH

Squishy

Sounds like you are using tap water also...that is normally the culprit in alot of cases...Using ro/di water can help get rid of algae.

Back
Top Bottom