algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is insufficient firterlization one possible reason for the outbreak of an algae bloom (green water)?

The reason I ask is because it sorta seems like if there is a lack of nutrients, well the algae wouldn't have nutrients either.... but maybe algae doesn't need as many as the plants??

It's more a matter of unbalanced fertilization than insufficient fertilization. Your plants need a certain level of nutrients in order to grow. If you are short or in excess on one or more of the nutrients, the plants can't use them. This leaves them available for algae to take advantage of, leading to your algae bloom. This is also why you can sometimes tell what you are short or high on by identifying the algae, since different types of algae thrive in different conditions.

whenever i get algea blooms there is always a nutrient that is really low and i dose to compensate, my otos pick up the algea and all is peachy once again

I guess I'll be visiting Mr. Watson again here shortly... This time purchasing the fertilizing agents independently. Not sure why he sells the pre-mix when it seems like a better play to dose each fert separately. I guess because people like me buy it :?

The quickest way to get an algae bloom in a med/high-light tank is to let NO3 fall to zero. Plants quit their uptake of other nutrients (as stated in an earlier post) and algae gets full access to them.

Any nutrient that bottoms out will prevent the uptake of others (NO3 and Po4 have a direct correlation). Greenwater is 95% caused by an increase of NH4 in the water column. Stirring up the substrate is a good way to induce it and is normally the cause as I know of noone who doses NH4 into their aquarium :)

Back
Top Bottom