Algae Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchkin041804

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the best ways to keep algae from overgrowing? I have two emerald crabs and a protein skimmer, and I really do not want to add chemicals.

first off are you using tap water? or ro/di water if your using tap water that could be the cause of your algae problem also overfeeding too

I started off with tap about 3 months ago, but now I buy it pre made at the fish store, I'm not 100% on what they use, but I will find out. Thanks!

water changes with good source water (R.O.D.I.), reasonable feeding, and good nutrient export, along with manual removal are the best ways to remove nuisance algae.
what size tank?
what brand and model protein skimmer?
what are your feeding habits?
how about water changes, how much and how often?

I found out the saltwater we buy is made w/ di water not tap. Our tank is 29 gallons, I feed the fish every 3 days, we do a water change every other week ~5 gallons. The protein skimmer is made by aquatic life, it is the internal mini skimmer 115.

i haven't used the skimmer you mentioned, but i will say that you should choose a skimmer rated for 1.5-2 x your total water volume. manufacturers ratings on protein skimmers are quite exaggerated. i would be doing weekly water changes until you get the algae under control.

Back
Top Bottom