Algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently established a very small EcoCube freshwater tank, prepared the tank per the instructions, and introduced 6 small neon tetras, three small blue shrimp, and an algae eater. The algae eater did such a good job sweeping algae off the sides of the tank that I became concerned it didn't have enough algae to eat, and foolishly dropped a small bit of an algae tablet into the tank.

So now I have an algae control problem, despite wiping the inside tank walls down once a week when I change about 1/3 of the water (I estimate the whole tank is not more than 2 gallons.

Is there anything I can do to keep the algae under control that will not harm the algae eater?

Many thanks!

Reduce lighting time and increase the water changes.

Is there a filter? Is the tank cycled and do you have a test kit so you know is the water parameters are in a safe level?

The link in my signature is an Aquarium Advice article about getting started keeping fish and has important details about fish keeping. Give it a read as soon as possible.

Reduce light intensity if possible.
Reduce photoperiod to 5 hours per day max (until algae has subsided, then slowly increase back up to 8 hours per day over a few weeks).
Ensure you are providing adequate nutrients for the plants (unhealthy plants promote algae).
Dose Flourish Excel or equivalent Met14 at the “after water change” rate on the Excel bottle once per day.
Manually remove all algae you can.
Manually remove excess organics in the tank by gravel vacuuming and cleaning filter media in old tank water every water change.
Manually remove any decaying or dead plant matter.
Increase water change frequency, and the amount of water changed.
Consider spot treating badly affected areas or dipping plants / hardscape in a Flourish Excel, Met14 or H2O2 + water solution. Google search which method you think would work well, and for general ratios to mix a safe solution. Certain plants can’t tolerate these chemicals, so ensure you do a little research prior to dipping / spot treating plants.
If using CO2, ensure CO2 is dropping the pH of the tank water a full 1.0 – 1.2. To do this, measure the pH of tank water with no CO2 dissolved in it, and then measure again 2-3 hours after CO2 has been running. Ensure the drop in pH is a full 1.0-1.2. If the drop is not there yet, slowly up CO2 over a few weeks until at least a 1.0 drop is achieved, and watch fish / livestock carefully. Adjust CO2 down if you notice fish gasping at the surface and consider running an airstone at night when pushing a 1.2 or greater drop. For example, a tank water pH of 7.5 with no CO2 dissolved in it, should reach a pH of 6.5 – 6.3 for CO2 to really shine, and for maximum plant health.
Consistency in CO2 levels is key to plant health. Keep CO2 levels as stable as possible once a desirable level has been reached.

Back
Top Bottom