Algae Eater - fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Established 55gal tank, over filtered, stocked with an assortment of fish, well planted, minimum 50 - 75% water change weekly, parameters all fine. Fish are fed every other day twice then, then every 3rd day.

Had 2 small algae eaters for the last 18 months or more, a few months ago one died after climbing out of the tank (unbelievably) and for the last 3 months we had the 1.

In the last few months the single algae eater has gotten very fat.

I want to be responsible but don't know if the fish is sick (no other symptoms and he is his usual active self), over eating, or of there is another problem.

Anyone know of this is just a fat fish or should I be doing something to help him?

algae.jpg

I can't tell what his species is. From my experience with them they stay relatively thin and streamlined. Mine was a flying fox. You aren't over feeding and he looks healthy other than his belly being a little large. I'd look up his specific species and do some research on behavior and normal size...then go from there.

I have tried to read up on them but have found few answers.

I think I will feed his some blanched peas and see if that helps. I am wondering if he is constipated because he is otherwise active.

Back
Top Bottom