Algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmen1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal tank with two mud turtles can I put an algae eater in there like an Otto?

Can someone answer i am going to store shortly

Otos are normally recommended for a 20 gallon and up. They also should be in groups since they are social. Have you considered a bunch of shrimp? Amano shrimp are absolutely awesome algae eaters and substrate cleaners, and you could get a ton of them and Red Cherry Shrimp too. Shrimp have virtually nil bio-loads...so you could go crazy and get a ton of RCS if you wanted. Plus they're cheap.

dont add anything. your horribly overstocked as it is,its reccomended to have like 10 gallons of water for every incch yur turtles shell is,so maybe if your tiurtles were less than 1/2 inch eac you could,but i still wouldnt.you need to get those turtles outta there fast

Oops, missed the turtle part. That's what I get for using the app while I'm driving down the road. I have zero knowledge of turtles other than that they are filthy. I assume any fish or shrimp would become food? That is of course ignoring the existing overstocking issue...which I agree needs to be addressed.

Oops, missed the turtle part. That's what I get for using the app while I'm driving down the road. I have zero knowledge of turtles other than that they are filthy. I assume any fish or shrimp would become food?
definitely,i had a turtle that killed 40 minnows in like 6 hours and didnt even eat them

jetajockey said:
keep your eyes on the road Eco! =]

And yeah, a 10g for turtles is a bad idea to begin with. I have no issue putting otos into a 10g but it needs to be properly stocked otherwise.

I guess I'm one of the people driving down the road on a cellphone...car, tires and brakes are all good though, lol. :)

Keep us posted on your hungry turtles I almost made you buy a snack for ;-)

Two mud turtles need like a 75g. You simply CANNOT house them in there, they grow to a foot each and a ten gallon is a foot long if not under that. How would you like being 6 foot and kept in 5'H by 3'W closet with another 6 foot person?

Hello there! GuppyLover just sent me a pm about this and this is what I answered:By any chance do you know what type of mud turtle? I sure hope it's a Mississippi mud because those are easier to take care of. With two of them I would put them in a 40 b at smallest but a 55g would be better. They actually only get 3-4.5" long. Make sure that they have a basking lamp and possibly river rocks. As for the Otto I wouldn't put them in there. I put a pleco in my tank and my turtle ate it. If the person has any more questions tell him to pm me. Hope this helps!

A good place where I get a lot of my information is Welcome to ATP it has like almost every turtle and plenty of information. Once more if you have ANY questions about turtles and such just pm me because I will usually know or will find out as soon as I can for you:)

Back
Top Bottom