Algae explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I've been gone for a few weeks on a trip and when I returned, I encountered an unfortunate algae bloom... well explosion... I would rather call it.

I have signs of green water, spot algae, fuzz algae/brush algae/a form of brown beard algae.

Green water is in the form of a green film. I'm attributing it to the unfortunate problem of sunlight hitting my tank. In the "covered" areas of my tank, where sunlight is blocked from hitting the tank, there is significantly less green film.

Spot algae I'm attributing to the amount of light hitting my tank. It's actually 96W over 20g, so it's a bit much. I'm considering changing the light structure, perhaps when some more money comes in.

The last algae I'm not so sure of. I know I have brush algae on my leaves, and the extent of the "damage" is quite bad and am considering discarding most of my java fern as it is quite damaged. However, I seem to have something that resembles the "structure" of beard algae, but is brown not green. It has strands approx 1cm long, looks like beard algae, but is brown.

I also have what resembles pearling, unfortunately on the algae :( It is also a goldfish tank so I'm thinking some nitrate balance problems. Also, since I was away, was unable to do a fert dosing schedule.

Steps I'm thinking to help fix this prob:

1. Dosing schedule (out of Seachem ferts, looking at getting dry ferts)
2. Reduced feeding
3. Dipping equipment in bleach solution (1 part bleach, 19 part water isn't it?)
4. Cleaning algae from sides of tank (I do this anyways with my weekly 50% water change)
5. Perhaps a new light
6. Switching to 2x2L bottles for my DIY setup, to try and maintain a steady flow of CO2.

I was hoping if some1 could give an opinion on my description and my thoughts about how the algae came to be. And suggestions for helping this problem.

Also, with such an intense light atm for my tank, how often would you think I should have the light on daily? 8hrs? 10hrs? 12 hrs? Atm, I have it on for 10 hrs, split into 3 hrs, break, then 7 hrs.

I know this is a long post and thank you for having the patience to read thru it.

I am no expert and am in the midst of an algae battle myself right now, with the help the AA Special Marine Forces. I believe different algae feeds on different nutrients. I think there may be more than high nitrates. Since you were not able to dose for about a week there may also be phosphate problems as well as other Macros and micros. I guess the first thing to do would be a large pwc if not 2 back to back. This will get most of the green water out and reset your water parameters. Before the pwc you will want to scrape the glass and rub the leaves of the plants to get as much of the algae free floating so it will come out during the pwc. If you have BBA then I understand the bleach dip will help. I used to have my lights on 12 hrs a day but I have cut it back to 10. Also I upped my Co2 substantially. I have 2 wpg and am running around 30ppm Co2. You have very high light and the Co2 is probably too low. Can you give us some test readings as well as your usual dosing schedule? This will help everyone to better understand what is going on in your tank. PH, KH, Phosphate, Nitrate

My advice is more or less general in nature and those test readings will help some fine tune more advice to help you.

Could yopu also elaborate on GW as a film? Is the algae in sheets on the glass, like BGA?

Brush algae (BBA) can appear in lots of colors.

Agree with Macrosill. I think steps 1, 4, and 6 should be your first steps. Should also add plenty of fast growers and lots of plants. With two goldies you may have to tackle challenging issues with dissolved organics and algae capitalizing on ammonia and such. 2 big water changes per week is a good idea I think. As he said, test results would help a lot.

It is a lot of light, and until addressing nutrients and CO2, short lighting periods or a 50/50 bulb to limit light would be wise. Once you're dosing, 10-12 hours of light is not unreasonable.

Just curious: what plants can you keep in there? Do your goldies eat stuff?

Back
Top Bottom