Algae for Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALittleTanked

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

New to the forum and the hobby. Thanks in advance for the advise!

I recently started a 10 gallon with a couple otocinclus and ghost shrimp. Eventually, I'm planning on adding some Indian dwarf puffers.

I decided to try growing some algae to supplement the otos' diet. Last night, I put some river rocks in a jar with some treated water. I also added some Seachem Flourish to help the algae grow. After setting up an airstone, I covered the jar with plastic wrap and poked some holes. The jar is in my sunroom, so it's getting plenty of light.

When I got home from work today, the water had turned yellow. Is this something I should worry about? Any other tips to promote algae growth would be appreciated!

Oto's eat specific algae. They eat diatoms, Green Dust Algae, and a ton of bio-film which is on everything in the tank.

Hi!

New to the forum and the hobby. Thanks in advance for the advise!

I recently started a 10 gallon with a couple otocinclus and ghost shrimp. Eventually, I'm planning on adding some Indian dwarf puffers.

I decided to try growing some algae to supplement the otos' diet. Last night, I put some river rocks in a jar with some treated water. I also added some Seachem Flourish to help the algae grow. After setting up an airstone, I covered the jar with plastic wrap and poked some holes. The jar is in my sunroom, so it's getting plenty of light.

When I got home from work today, the water had turned yellow. Is this something I should worry about? Any other tips to promote algae growth would be appreciated!

For my bristlenose fry I do something similar- I put pieces of driftwood in a tub of treated water with some aquarium plant trimmings. I put the tub in a sunny area and after a week I put one in the tank (I can't really see the algae, but you can kind of feel the biofilm and the fry swarm over it) when they are done with that piece, I replace it in the tub, and give them another one. If the water in the tub needs replenishing, I put tank water in it.

I've got them eating spinach and kale, both of which get nibbled on after being in the tank about a day. I wanted to get the algae rolling because I know that's their natural diet. Also, it's free! :)

Do I need to worry about the yellow water, or is that just part of the normal process?

Back
Top Bottom