Algae Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome advice. I'll (we'll) try it as soon as my son gets home.

...guess I'll just return the salt...

:ermm:

I need some help keeping my tank clean and was wondering whats the best fishes for this task, also a great work horse to take care of the algae

Best ways to fight Algae ?

Limit light -
Lights on timers. When you have Algae, only run lights 6 hours a day. I run mine between 6-8 hours. No Sunlight on tank. 3 day blackouts are recommended for some types of Algae.

Clean water -
PWCs weekly

Don't Overfeed-
Excess food fouls water and promotes Algae

Grow Plants-
And give them proper fertilizers. A carbon source can help plants outcompete Algae.

Algae Eating fish only eat certain kinds of Algae. I love Otos, but they only eat soft green algae. So I also feed my bottom dwellers. Cories do eat some fallen food, but they still need their own food.

Some Plecos eat algae, but they poop so much you also have to have good filtration. And buy the correct species or you'll have a Monster.

Learn what type of Algae you're fighting. Some of it needs drastic measures. Prevention is better.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Best ways to fight Algae ?

Limit light -
Lights on timers. When you have Algae, only run lights 6 hours a day. I run mine between 6-8 hours. No Sunlight on tank. 3 day blackouts are recommended for some types of Algae.

Clean water -
PWCs weekly

Don't Overfeed-
Excess food fouls water and promotes Algae

Grow Plants-
And give them proper fertilizers. A carbon source can help plants outcompete Algae.

Algae Eating fish only eat certain kinds of Algae. I love Otos, but they only eat soft green algae. So I also feed my bottom dwellers. Cories do eat some fallen food, but they still need their own food.

Some Plecos eat algae, but they poop so much you also have to have good filtration. And buy the correct species or you'll have a Monster.

Learn what type of Algae you're fighting. Some of it needs drastic measures. Prevention is better.

Apologies. I post via phone and sometimes lose track of what I've posted on which threads. Sorry for the repeat advice.

Another thing is to test your tap water periodically.

I wipe my front glass, but pretty much don't touch the rest of my tank.

http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Make sure you have good water flow. Dead spots can be an issue. I like calmer areas, but still some flow.

It may get maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours' worth per day. There was no other place to put the tank, so we have cut down on the lights even more. We are looking for true SAE's, so the hair algae issue may be something we just have to deal with for a while...

Sunlight is a killer even for a short amount of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hydrogen peroxide. Spray it on the wood and plants. Just the regular stuff from the bottles you can get at any supermarket. Salt will kill plants. Sunlight hitting my tank never caused a big algae bloom or anything. Liquid carbon helps. Add a ton more plants to suck up excess nutrients. Fast growing stem plants are better than slow growing ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom