Algae ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hops2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put some new driftwood in my tank a few weeks ago. I have the normal white fungus growth because the piece was too big to boil. I think it's algae but is it possibly the fungus dying off? Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413861707.965920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hard to say from the pics but looks like the final stage of the fungus. Covers the wood, then gets wavy like that, then falls off.

It's pretty dark compared to the fungus. Is that normal? First time having driftwood so I'm still learning :)

Ok cool. I'll give it a little more time and see what happens. Thanks!

I have the same issue with my driftwood. It's a fairly new piece of wood, and I'm hoping it goes away.

Any ideas?

I have the same issue with my driftwood. It's a fairly new piece of wood, and I'm hoping it goes away.

Any ideas?

It will eventually go away. Or you could take it out, give it a quick rinse and/or boil it for a few minutes. It should not come back after that.

Or, get a snail or two. Nerite snails love that stuff, so do Mystery snails, and even little ramshorns will eat it. If the tank water is cycled, snails will be fine and you can always sell them later if you don't want to keep them. Personally I find them indispensable clean up crew.

Its fungus not algae. Snails, shrimp, plecos, and otos will eat it. Its safe not dangerous.

I got a few SAE and they knocked it down. DW is almost completely clean! Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom