Algae id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Title says it all, at my local petco aka my only fish store with in an hr...

Attachments

• image-340353285.jpg
    image-340353285.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 107
That's what I thought, I forget who eats hair algae? My brain is a space case right now

That's what I thought, I forget who eats hair algae? My brain is a space case right now

Quite a few. Turbo snails, emerald crabs, lawnmower blennies etc. however that wont fix the nutrient problem causing the algae.

My concern was more for my tank if I bought a frag from theirs

Just pick off the algae, it will only grow with excess nutrients, its in all tanks for the most part. If its out of control then i might hesitate buying something, simply because it shows a lack of care/maintenance so who knows what else is slacking. But thats just me

Wow, the Petco in State College has frags? The one in Dubois barely has soft coral...all of my coral I have to order in!

But yes, just standard hair algae that can simply be removed.

Yeah they probably have 15-30 on hand usually. It just sucks because for me I have petco in state college or petco in Altoona... Where do you salt water shop?

Wow, the Petco in State College has frags? The one in Dubois barely has soft coral...all of my coral I have to order in!

But yes, just standard hair algae that can simply be removed.

That's what I was thinking when I was looking at the pic too! "My Petco doesn't have a frag rack!" I wish!! Mine has an occasional finger leather, mushrooms, zoa rock. Lol

Just pick off the algae, it will only grow with excess nutrients, its in all tanks for the most part.

Just as algae is on all coral reefs.... most people totally freak out of they see some in their tank, but I actually allow a little bit to grow in mine. Not only does it give my scarlet hermits & astreas something to graze on, it consumes excess nutrients, and it's also an additional observable barometer for my tank's condition......

Just as algae is on all coral reefs.... most people totally freak out of they see some in their tank, but I actually allow a little bit to grow in mine. Not only does it give my scarlet hermits & astreas something to graze on, it consumes excess nutrients, and it's also an additional observable barometer for my tank's condition......

Yep exactly! You can gauge a lot just by observing how fast or well a particular algae grows. This can also be done just by observing how fast algae grows on your front glass. If you need to clean it daily then you know you have some nutrients fueling it.

Ive gotten very used to judging nitrates and phosphates this way. You dont have to know exact numbers you just have know how to tell there is too much.

Back
Top Bottom