Algae ID ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anybody help identify what kind of algae this is in these pictures?

This is a 75 gal at work. We came in the other day to find almost the entire tank covered with a blanket of this stuff. We cleaned most of it up but it comes back.

algae.jpg

algae1.jpg

That's the strange part. It seemed to be only on the gravel. It stopped where the gravel meets the glass. The fake plants had a little on them but that's about it. This stuff was spread like a carpet across the whole bottom of the tank. We pulled it up in sheets.

look like Cyno... Blue-Green algae... nitrated are bottoming out and or poor circulation probabaly...also is that one plant real? if so it is not aquatic and will die and rot... :?

If it comes up in sheets and grows back almost overnight, it may be the dreaded blue green algae (BGA). BGA isn't really an algae - it's actually a bacterial colony.

It is completely dependent on light for survival - the best way to get rid of it is to wrap the sides of the tank with black plastic garbage bags and throw a heavy quilt over the top. Turn off the tank light. This will block all light from entering the tank while permitting some air exchange. Keep the tank blacked out for 4 - 7 days and then do a water change.

Yes that plant is real :( I have nothing to do with that, but I don't see it lasting much longer.

We did a blackout a month or so ago because of green water in the tank. It worked really well except the biggest baddest orange cichlid in the tank got beaten up really bad. It seemed like the others took advantage of the dark and got revenge!

Hopefully we will not lose any fish this time.

I forgot about this thread.

I'd look at nutrient levels in your tank. maybe high nitrates?

Yes Nitrates have been high in this tank and all of the sudden, about the time they put those plants in the tank, the nitrates seem to be dropping really fast.

How long are the lights on? Any direct sunlight?

This tank sits in an operators room where the lights are on all the time. The tank lights themselves are on for about 10 hours a day, but I suspect that some of the night operators turn them on so that they can see the fish. There is no direct light at all.

ambient light is enough for cyano. imo you will not solve the problem unless it is moved to a room where it is dark at night.

algae loves nitrates also. introducing plants will help starve the algae.

you can also try lights out, cover tank with a sheet or blanket for about 3 days. but it will likely hurt the plants also. Reduce feeding too during the lights out.

Try putting a note over the tank while you have it off and covered stating "ALGAE PROBLEM. DO NOT TURN ON LIGHTS OR FEED"

might help

Back
Top Bottom