Algae infestation after 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert_ellis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I get a brown low lying algae no matter what I do... Tank has been going for roughly 6 months. My skimmer doesn't pull anything out... Tons of bubbles but not high enough to enter cup. Water is clear as day and everything is doing great. Is this normal to everyone and if not any suggestions?

Robert_ellis said:
I get a brown low lying algae no matter what I do... Tank has been going for roughly 6 months. My skimmer doesn't pull anything out... Tons of bubbles but not high enough to enter cup. Water is clear as day and everything is doing great. Is this normal to everyone and if not any suggestions?

Brown algae (Diatoms) is a normal stage the first 6 months of a tank, diatoms consume silicates. One they consume all available silicates they will disappear. Any stirring of the sand bed usually will free up silicates so often you will notice them after disturbing the sandbed.

I wouldnt worry much about it unless you feel its outta hand. Just keep nitrates and phosphates at zero or as close as possible and keep up with weekly water changes.

I have the same problem too. My skimmer is 3x powerful for my 55 gal and yes theres tons if bubbles but not enough skimate its producing.

Robert_ellis said:

What is your water testing? Specifically nitrates and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom