Algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheridonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank:
Freshwater
Fish: 3 gouramis and one sucker fish
Water:
Illinois Well water

So in the beginning after I got the tank set up everything was fine. Then one day my kids dumped too much food and it caused havoc. Fish died and the ph was nuts.

Fixed all that but now we have an algae issue. Sucker fish is doing his best.
Any suggestions?

Tank:
Freshwater
Fish: 3 gouramis and one sucker fish
Water:
Illinois Well water

So in the beginning after I got the tank set up everything was fine. Then one day my kids dumped too much food and it caused havoc. Fish died and the ph was nuts.

Fixed all that but now we have an algae issue. Sucker fish is doing his best.
Any suggestions?

snails snails snails! mystery snails and nerite snails are the best tank cleaners i've ever had. they're like tiny vacuums. i haven't had an algae problem in any of my tanks at all since i started putting them in there. these types of snails don't breed like crazy either, which is something that typically gets people to not want them. but trust me, i've never seen these breed at all. but they clean better than any pleco or otocinclus or algae eater.

along with that, try to keep the light low in the tank. the more light there is, the more algae will grow. good luck!

I keep the light off at night. I'll pick up some snails soon. We don't go by the store often so next time we are there. I live in LaSalle county Illinois any shops your recommend?

I keep the light off at night. I'll pick up some snails soon. We don't go by the store often so next time we are there. I live in LaSalle county Illinois any shops your recommend?

ohh i'm not sure, im in new york. if you have a petsmart down there they have a pretty decent selection of snails, it's where i get all of mine. just be cautious with the mystery snails (they're the biggest ones they sell) because unless they're sticking on the glass, there's a chance they could be dead. it's just hard to tell with them. the pretty nerite snails have stripes and spots and they're about half the size of the mystery snails but they still do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom