Algae on coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frances

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a fish tank for 3 months. Someone gave me a piece of coral a month ago. and now it has algae on it. How can I clean it. (I am totally clueless about keeping fish).

Frances

Welcome to the site :D

Well to answer your question, to clean the coral soak it in a 1:10 bleach and water solution, for about 10 min, it should remove all the algae. Just make certain you rinse real well and soak in F/W with about 3-5 X the recommended amount of dechlorinator. The amount of dechlor is overkill, but I believe in overkill when your talking about bleach.

On to another point...do you actually want the coral in your F/W tank? Unless you are keeping species from hard alkaline waters, it isn't a good idea. The lower ph of F/W aquariums will slowly desolce the calcium carbonate, that the coral skeleton is made of releasing the calcium into the water. The calcium will then build up in your fishes kidneys, shortyening their life span. Now if your keeping hard water fish like african cichlids it is actually benificial.

BTW, I edited your post to include the colored text you wanted. When you click on the color two tags are set, you have to include your text between those tags [tag]text[close tag]

I also removed the double post. This site isn't large enough yet to need to post in multiple forums, this isn't what you did, it just posted twice in the same forum.

Back
Top Bottom