algae on live and fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have stubborn algae on my daughters fake plants and some rock ornaments.
A little on live plants. I've read many people using bleach...nervous about that...any suggestions about cleaning it off?

Algae always has a reason for appearing. Fix that reason, and it goes away.

Let's start with how long are your lights on every day?

Caleb

Dry sponge and it should come of, it's sign of excess light or food, it also shows that your daughter tank is matured, cycled and with living organisms, in your case bacterias, it's normal for it to appear anywhere certain species eat it such as shrimps, snails, plecos. Nothing to worry about, I was concern few days ago, as I had larger worms appearing in my hatchery, I was told they could be carnivores, but after few observations I saw them with couple baby shrimps and no prob even with frys. So I came to a conclusion that I over fed the tank, and detritus colony bloomed and grown larger, couldn't and still haven't cleaned it due to loads of minuscular shrimps, but in my case now and then some fry eat one of these :D got tank that needs no attention so far (of course I feed them twice a day just incase) and clean the filter but that's it's so far 5 months since no clean up
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446568030.005904.jpg

Peace and Success to your fishes from my iPhone

Here's some algae from my breeder, leaving it until my red cherry shrimps colony grow larger,so I can move some into it,as a cleaning crew ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446568182.783847.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446568216.813574.jpg

My daughter was leaving her lights on all the time, she liked to see fish. I am shutting hers off sooner but the algae is already there and just needed to clean it up. I left mine on about 11 hrs. just because i have live plants and am gone to work for 8hrs. and like to see fish when i get home....im learning that its probably best to shut lights off prob. when i get home.

My daughter was leaving her lights on all the time, she liked to see fish. I am shutting hers off sooner but the algae is already there and just needed to clean it up. I left mine on about 11 hrs. just because i have live plants and am gone to work for 8hrs. and like to see fish when i get home....im learning that its probably best to shut lights off prob. when i get home.

Yeah anything over 8 hours algae will start to grow. Even at 8 I've found algae will grow sometimes.

Caleb

Well nothing you can do about it, except manual craping,I turn my light of after sunset since I set the tanks up but it still growing, I'd suggest that you should try and buy some cleaning crew, it won't get cleaned over night but eventually it will get under control

i do have a common pleco in my tank and he does what he can. i also have 3 cory cats, that i hear are supposed to help. i want snails but i am working on getting my ph adjusted so thats something to look forward to. i have 2 angels, 2 balas, 1 redtail shark, i suppose shrimp is out of the question...

If I understand right, the consensus is to leave the algae, which is fine in my tank, which has the live plants. I would really like to clean hers up as i watch the lighting issue. Are you against using bleach? Should I just wipe off as one person recommended, and if it doesnt wipe off than what should I do?

I would scrape them of with sponge or so, I'd also suggest not to bleach as it can leave trace behind it, I'd try taking the ornaments out put it in pot or so salt and boiling water that should kill anything living on the ornaments, that's the same technique for preparing drift wood for aquariums

i do have a common pleco in my tank and he does what he can. i also have 3 cory cats, that i hear are supposed to help. i want snails but i am working on getting my ph adjusted so thats something to look forward to. i have 2 angels, 2 balas, 1 redtail shark, i suppose shrimp is out of the question...

Common Plecos need huge tanks. Major poop factories.

Cories don't eat Algae

Yes, Shrimp would be eaten.

Put your lights on timers. Timers cost $8-10. Only run lights about 6 hours a day. Check water parameters. Algae can be a sign of imbalance.

Once tank is clear you can run lights 6-8 hours daily.
Once Algae is under control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx, I will try the salt and boiling water technique as well as cleaning with sponge. Is it just regular iodized salt not aquarium salt and do i need a lot of it. i soaked my driftwood before but never used salt.

table salt will do, I go around 3 table spoons per litre but that's my guidance

table salt will do, I go around 3 table spoons per litre but that's my guidance

I would not use table salt as it has many additives to preserve it and prevent it from caking under humidity.

Use AQ salt(sodium chloride) as it has none of those additives.

Caleb

I would not use table salt as it has many additives to preserve it and prevent it from caking under humidity.

Use AQ salt(sodium chloride) as it has none of those additives.

Caleb

Thanks for info :| didn't knew that

With Timers you can do a split schedule. Mine come on when I'm around in the morning for 3 hours. Off during hot part of day and then back on for 3-4 hours at night when I'm home to enjoy them.

Balas need a large tank along with the common pleco

I run my lights for 6 hours a day, and am seeing little algae problems. At 6.5 hours I was having some problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When we say large we mean a 125g or bigger.
Common Plecos get 12" easily and can get territorial.

Balas hit 12" and should be in groups.

RT Shark ? Give it a corner with safe hiding places and he'll be a jerk in that corner.

Back
Top Bottom