Algae Phases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have chaeto in my fuge and it's disappearing. Brown algae is growing in my tank.

I've been feeding everyday. Probably over feeding.

I have a cheap LED hood over the fuge.

Once I get to the green algae stage will the chaeto start growing under the conditions?

I would feed to keep the cheato alive. Your Nitrates will rise and you will have worse problems. I am also have a problem with detritus if that what you have. Maybe you only have diatoms not for sure in your case. But algae requires Phosphates to grow and cheato is a macro algae which will reduce Phosphates in your water if there are any. If you are using a phosphate media then cheato is probably useless. Cheato also requires pruning when it starts to grow. So if it's dying could be your tank doesn't have enough Phosphates for it to grow or if your tank does have Phosphates and you are having an algae issue the other algae is eating those Phosphates could be do to the overfeeding.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. I think I've been over feeding. How long can you go without feeding a clownfish?

I have the dinoflagellate brown slime algae. It says to treat it the same as cyano. So I guess feed less is the answer.

This may sound weird but my friend had dinos and we read that not doing water changes for a month or two and let the Nitrates build up that the dinos would die off. And then do small water changes afterwards. I do why it worked but it did for him. And he only has 2 clownfish he feeds maybe once or twice a week and they seem fine. But that's all he has in his tank. My tank is different I have anthias which require multi feedings a day do to there metabolism is faster they are very active fish. But remember within the saltwater hobby what works for someone else may not work another.

That sounds good but I have a frogspawn

I would say it would be OK don't let it the Nitrates get high. Or maybe use Prime to pull the toxins out of the water for the time being.

My TDS is at 55...,(moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that's the output and not the input. And let it run for about 10 mins before u check it.

Yeah. It was running for over 10 minutes. Just ordered new filters. 55 will have to do for now

60 before di. 55 after. I only had the ro/di for 3 months or so...

Did u buy it new or used. Filters should last longer than that. Depending on how much water you use through it.

Back
Top Bottom