Algae & phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some advice. I have a well stocked Malawi 240 gallon tank that has 2.0 phosphates. My lace rock is constantly growing a dark brown algae that makes the tank look dirty.

lighting- My T5 lights are only on for 3 hours a day now, and the bulbs are changed regularly.

filtration- I have a sump with filter socks, chemi pure, and bio balls

water changes- I do a 40% change once a month, Prime added after change

feeding- exclusively Hikari sinking Excel pellets

Any advice on how to control the algae/ phosphates?
Is there a food that is lower in phosphates?

You should be doing more than 40% water change every month you should be doing that every week

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lower Phosphates

Hello lady...

Phosphates aren't the only thing that promotes algae growth. Nitrates from the dissolved fish waste is also responsible. If you feed the fish too much and there's leftover food to dissolve in the tank water, you've created the perfect environment for forms of algae.

I float Hornwort and Anacharis in my tanks, they use the excess nutrients, but I don't keep aggressive fish that can make lunch of less than hardy plants. If the floating plants don't work, then either you reduce the amount you feed or increase the amount of water you change. Either or both will reduce the phosphates and nitrates in the tank water.

B

Ok good points, I'll start doing changes weekly and hopefully that will bring down the levels and slow the algae. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

set up a pump with a hose to a drain and it will only take a few minutes to drain 30% of your tank and a garden hose to refill it (I use well water so no chlorine)
my tank is next to a sliding door so I drain out side to my garden and the hose is right next to the door , only time I have any problems is on the coldest days of winter that only last 1 week or so here in the PNW and 1 missed water change will not hurt anything in my tank it is so over filtered (45 gal tank with filters for over 200 gal)

That's a good idea to use a pump. Currently I use a python attached to the laundry room sink. A 40% change takes close to an hour :/ what type of pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're changing the water every week 20-25% would be just fine. When you say well stocked, how many fish roughly and out of curiousity how long has the tank been up and running?

Back
Top Bottom