Algae problem....pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes 1 ml per 10 gallons at 3% h202. I would dose seperate from anything else and dose it slowly.

Si 1 ml for 20g of 6% hydrogen peroxide... I'll just try it now.

30ml/30g worked for algae on my FW tank... So I feel this is safe in reefs...

Over dosing can hurt . H202 kills one cell organisms. But at a light dosage it should not hurt corals fish and inverts. I actually dip corals in h202 to remove algae

Take the time and suck it out. Take a towel and put it over the bucket. I robber banded the towel in place. And then cleaned out as much as I could. Filter the dynos out. It will help with the process. Do it daily. And with everything else. It should be gone soon

Ah I forgot to give news.

- I dosed 1L/day of limewater to maintain high PH. (8.4 instead 7.9) (1 week)
- I dosed 1ml/day vodka straight when lights turn off (I keep dosing small doses at night)
- I raised the actinic and lowed the white leds for a week, now it's back to normal settings
- I used a turkey baster to put dinos in the water column, so they get trapped in the HOB filter
- I replaced the carbon to starve the dinos as much as possible
- I cleaned the filter pad often
- I did a good sand bed siphon
- I raised Mg to 1500ppm too.

Result: No more traces of dinos. I'm happy :) And coraline is starting to grow everywhere since I increased the total led output.

Now I have a little bacterial bloom stringy white fuzz algae... I think it's due to vodka dosing. Easy to get rid with the turkey baster, does it means I should lower vodka dosing ?

Anyways, I'm blind dosing vodka, as I don't have PO4 or NO3 test kit. A friend will come test it this week.

Vodka can create bacteria blooms. I would maybe try stopping it all together . Maybe slowly or just stop using it.. I'd go get some Bloody Mary mix with some olives !! Dose vodka in there.

Vodka can create bacteria blooms. I would maybe try stopping it all together . Maybe slowly or just stop using it.. I'd go get some Bloody Mary mix with some olives !! Dose vodka in there.

I won't go far with the rest of the 40ml vodka in that bottle....

I'll stop vodka dosing... and take a PO4/NO3 test in some weeks.

Hard to tell which of the things you changed that made the favorable effect since you did them all at same time. The process of elimination is one at a time. In my experience, I have observed that some algae prefers higher intensity white light plus nutrients but they start to receed when more blue is on.

Hard to tell which of the things you changed that made the favorable effect since you did them all at same time. The process of elimination is one at a time. In my experience, I have observed that some algae prefers higher intensity white light plus nutrients but they start to receed when more blue is on.

I really wanted to get rid of them. Unfortunately, some tiny bubbles start to reappear on my LR... I suspect the dinos will come back in few days or weeks... I plan on doing a water change and do the same thing I just did again for prevention. I hate to play with paramters, but I think I don't have the choice...

Update:

I'm happy to say that it's been about 2 weeks since I upped the ph and went 50+hrs blackout to try and kill the Dino's and they haven't been back!! Can't thank everyone enough for all the suggestions and input on the matter.

I also changed the spectrum on my radions to remove all red and green light In addition to reducing the light cycle to only 5.5hrs.

My rocks haven't looked this clean in......well I can't even remember! Things look great also with the exception of the xenias. For some reason.....they seem to be shriveling and dying. Everything else is doing I better and fully extended except them. No idea why.

Thanks again all.

Stop water changes and maintain that ph to 8.4 8.5.... Suck out the dynos thru a towel.. And put that water right back in.. Shut off skimmer and leave your lights on there normal cycle

Update. Last week I did total blackout with towels for 5 days.

When I plugged LEDS on, I only ran blue. I dosed peroxyde everyday, raised PH everyday with kalk to 8.4.

Some little bubbles are growing back on the rocks, it's sign my dinos are back :(
I really don't know what to do :(

Why do you suggest shutting off the skimmer after the blackout ?

No need to blackout. And just shut skimmer off completely. No water changes. Keep ph at 8.4-8.5. And filter out the dynos putting the water back in.. Tape or wrap a towel over the bucket . Suck it out and put the water back in. That's how I did it and the dynos never returned

I'll try it.

Should I stop the mechanical and chemical filtration ? I'm running a HOB Fluval C3 with filter pad and a carbon bag.

Why shutting off the skimmer will help ? Can I switch on my white leds?

Yes turn on your lights. And the dynos like oxygen. When I shut my skimmer off they slowed down there growth greatly. I kept the filter running. But did not dose anything or run carbon..

Back
Top Bottom