algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigcarl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am fairly new to the fish world ...I have a 29 gallon tank with two silver gouramis that I have had for a yr and one gsp that I have had for about six months...my question is about algae. I heard that I cannot get an algae eater because it will die in the salt water I have a problem with algae..is there another way to get rid of it so my tank stays cleaner ?

Not familiar with what that is or how it works...can u elaborate please ?

its a magnetic scrub brush,one half goes on the outside of the tank,and the other half goes on the inside,both sides have scrubbing pads,and its magnetic,so you move the outside one.

Ok ...I have one of those but is there a way to clean Algae that collects on my rocks and decorations that are in my tank ?

I have added a little bit of salt for the green spotted puffer its not a salt water tank but the gsp requires a bit of salt correct ?

Sort of, but not like that. GSP's need brackish conditions, which gouramis won't tollerate. Brackish is a mix of fw and sw. You need marine salt to replicate that, as well as a hydrometer to measure salinity. They aren't really compatible in the same tank.

Oh really ? I've been adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt for every ten gallons since I've had the puffer and that's been about six months....the fish all seem happy and healthy...ive had the gouramis for a yr

They'll live for a short time in freshwater, but to really be healthy and thrive, they need brackish. They actually acclimate to full saltwater when they're adults I believe. I'm not expert on brackish fish though, that's about the extent of my knowledge on them, as I keep only fw fish

Oh I didn't know that....so do u think I should get a separate tank ? And brackish water is what i have been doing by adding the salt isn't it ?

Back
Top Bottom