algae taking over new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nisi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 5gal tank and I'm starting to see quite a bit of algae. It's brown and it grows in patches on the tank walls and both the live plant and the fake plants, and it's growing fast. It looks terrible. Anything I can do about it, other than try to keep up with scraping it off?

Tank is 5 gal hex tank, fishless cycled and stocked 2-3 weeks ago with 2 guppies and 4-5 stems of anacharis. Lighting is one 10W/6500K compact florescent bulb, on about 10-11hrs/day. I've been testing regularly since I stocked-- ammonia has been 0 save one jump up to .25 which could have been a testing error, nitrites always 0, and nitrates haven't gone over 5. Weekly ~40% PWCs. If I left out any important details let me know.

TIA

Sounds like Diatoms. While unsightly, it's very common in new tanks and generally goes away on it's own after 2-4 weeks.

Would certains snails and catfish eat that stuff? I don't really know too much about aquariums, just started. Although I do think most algae related stuff is solved with algae eaters.

i think i heard ottos eat it.. i know 3 people at least on here have the exact fish you could put in for that... i cant remember for the life of me lol

I experienced this in my 30g but after a few months it has all disappeared. Once it got to the point where it bothered me I would take the plants and decor out, scrub them with an unused toothbrush a rinse them with water. As far as the diatoms on the glass just use your mag-float or algae scraper.

While otos will eat diatoms, I wouldn't recommend buying a fish to fix a specific problem unless you actually want to have that fish after the problem is fixed. They will need to have their diet supplemented once the diatoms are no longer a problem.

After reading a bit about diatoms I'm almost certain that's what it is. I guess I'll keep scraping it off until it goes away. It doesn't make much sense to add a fish to solve a problem that will clear up on its own given a little time. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom