Algae...What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I have noticed that there is quite a bit of algal growth on one of my pieces of LR. It is quite high in my tank and I am wondering if my lighting is causing it to grow so much.
Should I try to rearrange. The tank has been up since Dec. 22 and is doing well. I really don't want to have to rearrange if I don't have to.
Is there something that I can get that will assist in the removal of this algae? It needs to be compatible with what I have below:
I have three hermits and I am down to 2 turbo snails and 1 trochus snail. My snails do not go onto this piece of LR very often and my crabs are almost always on it.
I do have two peppermint shrimp but they are not interested in this piece of LR.
I also have two kenya tree corals and 1 clownfish.

Thanks for your help. :)

you should just let the algea take it course...it is a natural environmant you are trying to create, ro/di water wont change algea growth.Just hang in there, in a few months or a year or so, everything will balance and it wont be as bad, until then just let the algea blooms go, you will have many and of different colors and kinds, theres not much you can do about it except clean the glass and let it happen.

I am using RO water.
My lighting schedule is 12 hours, from 10 AM to 10 PM daily.
My test results are all within suggested parameters.
The only thing that may be low is Salinity. I am currently working on that.

It doesn't look bad, but I wasn't sure if there was a creature that would assist in the algae population.
I will just wait it out.

No, I will have to start that though and I will see if they are elevated. Thanks for the suggestion.

Try feeding your fish only every other day. When you feed every day it will put organics in your water and help feed the algea. I had this problem about 5 years ago. Been feeding every other day since with no algea to be seen. I`m not saying this is the problem but it could be. Good Luck

I am feeding every other day.
I probably was overfeeding to start but I have backed off, so you may be right and that could be the problem.
Thanks

My salinity is at 1.026. So I guess I mean specific gravity.
I can try cutting back the lighting as well.

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.

If your SG is at 1.026 you're going to want to drop that back to something between 1.022 and 1.025 (I keep mine at 1.024). I don't think you're fish or inverts are going to be happy with the SG that high for too long. Just bring it down slowly over the next couple of water changes.

Back
Top Bottom