Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjt34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.

I have a 6gal tank with 1 Betta in. I fishless cycled it a little while (2 months) ago but am going through a mini cycle thanks to a long power cut which caused the filter media to dry out while I was out of town. There are lots of fake plants & 3 moss balls.

Fish seems healthy and do lots of water changes to keep levels low while the bacteria reestablish but have had a breakout of what looks like algae.

It brown and looks like dust. See pic below. It is all over everything in the tank & the substrate (sand) but not really on the glass.

Does it sound like a type of algae?
Will it do any harm (other than aesthetically)?
Will it go away on its own?

EDIT; Lighting are stock LEDs that came with it (fluval edge). On a timer for 10hours a day. I know that that might be a little long but with so few live plants I thought it would be ok - I am out at work more than 9 hours each day so wanted to have his tank lit up some of the time that I am there! Tank is not in direct sunlight.

Attachments

• image-3712491676.jpg
    image-3712491676.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 55
I hope someone can help - that took a long time to type out on my phone :p

Probably diatoms if they are brown. It may be the lighting in the pic, they look greyish green, but if they are really brown then it's most likely diatoms. They are harmless and common in newer tanks; it'll go away on its own eventually.

Back
Top Bottom