Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltynewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Algae and lots of it. I started up a marine tank about a month ago. I have 3oh lbs of LR 50 lbs of sand and a few hermits. Until the other day my tank was fine now today and yesterday the water is really green and there is lots of algae on the surface and on the walls of the tank. I think i will try keeping my light of for a few days but am worried about losing any corliline algae, the good stuff. What should i do to get rid of the algae????? :?: :?: :evil: :BIG:

Do you RO/DI water? Are you running a phosphate/silicate sponge? Some algae is normal in a new tank but usually the water doesnt turn green. I believe that is a free floating algae but the name has slipped my mind. Also are you running a protein skimmer? What are your water params? You could try a UV sterilizer but most people think they are a waste of money. Also how many hours a day do you keep your light on? ANd finally how muh flow do you have in the tank?

Experiencing same problem as above. Hair algae and green water. 72 g, red sea berlin protein skimmer, wet/dry (used carbon in filter for 8 hours, phosphate sponge for 28 hours). Collection cup was hella GROSS 8O (pee-you).

Did the wrong thing by moving the tank and then using tap water to fill the tank (bad idea). Result, this mess.

Now, I have to go with on last cure, put move water movement. That is my suggestion. I have tried all the others, and so far the algae isn't growing as much, but plan to erradicate it this time. I have already "toothbrushed" every inch of rock.

Good luck.

Well i am not using RO and i only have a small hair algae problem, nothing major. I too am planning on gett ing one for christmas.

Diatoms are a normal part of a systems cycle to maturity. This is probably what are you are going through, it happens to most young systems. Follw the above advise and keep you water quality high. It will pass in time.

But quarryshark, does the water usually turn green? It never did in my tank, but i guees its possible.

Back
Top Bottom