algaenew tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it normal to get algae when a tank is first set up. I am getting a brown fuzzy algae in a new tank 2 weeks old.

How large is the tank? What kind of light does it receive? Did you cycle/are you currently cycling the tank?

Algae is the result of nutrients and light. Some more information would be needed.

I have been dosing with excel. trace, iron and the comprehensive, should i continue? Does this have anything to do with the diatoms. The tank is a ten gallon and i am currently cycling.

I have been dosing with excel. trace, iron and the comprehensive, should i continue? Does this have anything to do with the diatoms. The tank is a ten gallon and i am currently cycling.

I can't give you dosing recommendations until I know what type and amount of light along with what type and amount of plants you have.

Nomally, diatom's will do away on thier own once all the silcates are gone from the water column. If it becomes too much of a problem, Oto's are great at getting ride of it. I normally don't recommend getting a fish to clean up a problem, but Oto's are pretty much a main stay with planted aquariums.

I have also heard from reliable sources that increasing the lighting will also help get ride of this type of algae, but ensure you are dosing correctly or you will just run into other problems.

Back
Top Bottom