Alge problem. But not in direct sunligh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigFish.LittleFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am reasonably new to tropical fish and *have started getting problems with alge growth in my tank. Can anyone give me pointers in how to stop the alge spreading.

It's different Alge to what I normally see, it's like a mini plant (almost grass) but only grows about 10mm high and then spreads! It's not normal green alge, it more black!

I no phosphates are a contribution to alge, so what is the best thing to get to test this. Also how long do u recommend the fish light should be on in one day to give my fish and live plants the best lighting.

Any suggestions?:confused:

this sounds like black hair algae i dont know much about it but for the light period 4 on 4 off and 4 on is a good method

Algae Problem

Hello Big...

My knowledge of algae is somewhat limited. I've never had a problem with it. A little is a good thing, it gives the tank a natural look. You apparently have an an over abundance of nutrients in your tank. When I started my tanks some years ago and noticed algae of any type, I planted a couple of new plants in the tank when I did my water changes. I did that every few changes until the algae was under control.

Complex aquatic plants will use up the available nutrients in the tank and the algae will essentially starve.

If you don't have Vallisneria, ferns or mosses in your tank, you can dose SeaChem's Flourish Excel according to instructions. This liquid fert contains a trace of a carbon called "Gluteraldehyde". It's a good fert for the more complex aquatic plants, but toxic to those I mentioned and to algae too.

B

Back
Top Bottom