Algea help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have recently notice an increase in some kind of algae in my tank

image-2543588974.jpg

Tank specs:
T5 HO light fixture 2x 6700k bulbs 8hrs a day
Fuval c4 HOB filter
Flourish substrate
The tank has been running for 8-9 months now as well as its a 55g tank

Did a water test and here are the results

image-3983756514.jpg

Also here is a full picture of my tank just so you can get an idea.

image-2633289100.jpg

Thanks

It's very likely a result insufficient nutrients and low CO2. The 0 ppm nitrate is a real problem.

aqua_chem said:
It's very likely a result insufficient nutrients and low CO2. The 0 ppm nitrate is a real problem.

Alright how do you recommend fixing that?

In a tank with good light? A lot. Plants need nitrates for basic functions and to grow. Denying a plant nitrogen will A) stunt it B) cause its leaves to fall off and C) invite algae. BGA is particularly fond of low nitrate, but many different types will take advantage of sickly plants.

Can you cause problems by dosing too much of one nutrient? I know if you overdose potassium it can cause iron deficiency. can the same thing happpen with iron triggering a domino effect of other deficiencies

I have this same exact problem. Just tested my water tonight - Nitrates less then zero lol. when i go to these dry fert sites like GLA i get more confused. If I buy the complete pack can I mix that in one of those bottles that they sell and if so how would I do that?

my symtoms
holes in leaves
leaves fall off
red algae

all the stuff that indicates no N

Ya what I'm going to do is go out and buy some seachm nitrogen to increase the nitrate level to about 10pm

Back
Top Bottom