Alternate placement for a refrigium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ‘think’ that I have decided to add a refugium to my tank to create a sustainable, natural food source to try and get better growth out of my corals. Most the recommendations that I have seen for placing the refugium suggest feeding the main tank directly from the refugium. Therein lays the dilemma, I really don’t have room to place the refrigium near the main tank. What are the pros and cons for placing the refrigium in the basement and have it feed directly into my sump?

i tihkn the first thing would be that u will need to invest some wat more money in some powerful pumps so the water can get back up the floor.

Do I need a bigger pump?

Correct me if I am wrong please but I think that I have pretty good circulation. My pump in the basement does 1500 gph and it has a maximum head of 31 feet. Using the 12 feet, I'm sure that I am not getting 1500 gph but don't you think that I am getting enough?

Tank Details:
72 gallon bow front reef tank
150 lbs live rock
5” DSB
40 gallon sump (in basement)
Iwaki md70rlt 1500 gph punp (in basement - 12’ head)
Oceanic protein skimmer
Ocean Clear filter
4x48W (24”) PC Lights (2 Actinic & 2 Daylight)
1/10 hp chiller & 300W heater
73F & 1.023
Mushrooms, Polyps, Leather Toadstool, (3) Cardinal fish, Hermit crab, Arrow crab.

Well, I have heard mixed comments on this. Some people say that the pump will reduce substantially all the living organisms that your refugium will have. Others say that the pumps' damage is minimal. I think it should be OK... Your flow should be around 600G which is a bit on the low side circulation-wise...
I would get some PH inside for a bit more circulation.

several people on this site have sumps and I`ve heard good reviews from those that do. It can be done.

Back
Top Bottom