Alternatives to Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoWooD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using a Penguin Bio Wheel on my semi-planted community. The tank has a medium-flowing current and is using air pump devices as well. Therefore, I have no CO2. I really just plan on keep foreground plants with some hornwort and anachris.

What alternatives are there to using carbon media filteration. I was thinking about cutting the packs of replacements, throwing the carbon out in replace of something else. How about those ammonia or matrix rocks, do those take away chemicals used by plants as well?

Thanks,
-Joe

I'm not exactly sure low much wattage of light I have in my tank. These are the bulbs that came with the 55g starter kit. Erm- the tank is 55g also.

Now, don't call me foolish, but what exactly is filter floss? And can you do that with this type of filter?(One time I called my self inserting a sponge thinggy in there for pre-filteration and then it slowed the water flow.) What I had planned on doing was cutting the replacement catridges and then filling them with that stuff.(Bio Media) Is this floss stuff available at local pet stores? Can it be reused unlike replacement cartidges(because those eventually get dirty and you have to buy another one)

Will give you the info on the cheap stuff, walmart sells it as pillow stuffing, 100% polyester, as long as there are no additives, it must be pure. I think it was Jchillin that told me that in the first place. :D I know it was someone on here though. It is cheaper than the floss at the LFS.

I have an AquaClear filter if I use the walmart pillow stuffing, 100% polyester do I need to put in hose or a mesh bag? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom