Altum angels and neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no solid yes or no answer. It really depends.

How big are the angels? Are they fully mature?

You can try, there is a chance they may end up being a big snack. If your angels are on the smaller side or still not mature it would be worth a shot IMO.

Many feel that having angels mature with neons will decrease the odds of them being eaten. The idea is that they will be used to the neons and they aren't really viewed as food by the time they are large enough to eat. Though a lot comes down to your angels and their attitudes.

If the neons can fit in their mouths than they may try to eat them. Going with an inch or more will def help your odds though.

Are they true Altum's or are they just barred angelfish? Altum's are a magnificent fish; a real treat to watch as they can reach a vertical measurement of 18"!

Neon's are a natural food source for angels in the wild. They are relatively cheap so if they get eaten, it's just nature taking its course.

David

If they are true Altum's most small fish are at risk. I had 2 many years ago and there was no way rummy's, cardinals, neons, or anything 2 to 2-1/2" or smaller could be with them as they were big.

I have five tetras, adding five to ten more this weekend, in with my three angels. There is a
chance that they will get eaten, or they may live and breed like wildfire. It all depends. I would acclimate them, feed the angels, then add them in.

Back
Top Bottom