Am I a Cruel Owner? NEED ADVICE QUICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristin27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought four female platies, and ever since the beginning I have noticed that one of them (who happens to be the smallest one) is a big bully. She constantly chases the other fish around the tank and head-buts them. I know this could stress them out or eventually kill them - what I find even odder is that she only attacks when I have the tank light on.

Well this morning I watched her go around attacking the other fish again, but then she nailed the green one RIGHT in the ribs. She was stunned and couldnt move for a few seconds - I think she was really hurt.

Today is Canada Day, so nothing is open and I can't bring her back to replace her until Monday. Right now, I have her in the net (she has almost no space to swim around) and I feel bad, but I'm afraid if I let her out she'll hurt the other fish again.
Am I doing the wrong thing? And do you think it would be safe to put her in a seperate jar since I don't have another tank?
Advice would be appreciated! I'm new with fish!
Thanks,

Kristin

Will probably stress her out a lot in the net for an extended amount of time. I would get the biggest bowl/container I had and clean it out nicely put tank water in, add the fish and some type of bubbles or something.

I agree, move her to something larger. If you have a bubble stone, add that. If not, every now and then, scoop some water out and pour it back in to help aerate the water. You want to pour it from a little distance away to help create bubbles and pour slowly.

Or you might try reaaranging the tank a bit. Sometimes just changing the appearance stops a bully in it's tracks. Be sure to give the fish being picked on a hiding place to retreat to. :wink:

yeah i would do that first before moving the fish into something new, just move things around and they will all be confused at first then acclimate fine.... :D

Back
Top Bottom