Am I doing something wrong with my sponge filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I set up a quarantine tank. 10g. I put in a large sponge filter and I am seeing nothing being pulled to it. all the detritus just sits on the bottom of the tank or continues to just float to the surface.

There is nothing in the tank. No plants no decorations of any kind and no substrate. So I see EVERYTHING just sitting there on the bottom.

The sponge filter had no place to put an airstone. It just has an input for the airline and it runs through the filter.

Does the sponge filter only give a place for bacteria? Does it do nothing for the fish waste?

So I set up a quarantine tank. 10g. I put in a large sponge filter and I am seeing nothing being pulled to it. all the detritus just sits on the bottom of the tank or continues to just float to the surface.

Does the sponge filter only give a place for bacteria? Does it do nothing for the fish waste?

Pretty much. They're great for BB, and fine particulate waste, but unless you're running it with a powerhead it's not going to pick anything else up.

Back
Top Bottom