Am i overstocked 130ltr tank (32gallon i think)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labidis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have the below items in my 8 month cycled tank.
Please note that all the fish were aquired from different aquariums over the past 8 months slowly slowly.

FISHIES: 34
900L x 300w x 500h
Approximately 130ltr or 32gallon

1 x Rainbow Shark:
1 x Guppy blue male:
1 x Guppy Yellow male:
1 x Guppy Orange male:
1 x Guppy Black/Blue male:
1 x Guppy Orange/white female:
5 x Red eye tetra:
1 x Platys female:
4 x Platys male:
10 x neon terta:
2 x pink widow:
6 x white clouds:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413782488.328833.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you go by the inch rule yes you are. You didn't list what filters your running.

Hi Corona,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I currentely have an AQUATOPIA
CORNER FLOW 650LTR PER HOUR INTERNAL FILTER -
My water tests seem to be testing okay at the moment.

I had a 25 gallon that was overstocked but I was running 2 HoB filters and doing 30 percent water changes twice a week. As long as water is testing good and the fish don't seem stressed you should be fine for a while. As they mature you might run into problems but that goes for any aquarium that happens to be overstocked.

Okay, will keep an eye on it.
Currently do 50% water changes every 10-15 days, and seems to be working well.

What inch rule do u work off ?

I don't use the rule. I have a Mbuna tank (13 Ciclids, 1 Catfish 1 BN pleco) that I purposely keep overstocked for aggression reasons (55gallon), and a 75 gallon tank with community fish. Community tank has 6 Cory, 6 guppies, 6 neon tetras, 5 Bosemani Rainbows, 6 Praecox Rainbows, 2 Honey Gourami and 2 BN plecos.

I currently have the below items in my 8 month cycled tank.
Please note that all the fish were aquired from different aquariums over the past 8 months slowly slowly.

FISHIES: 34
900L x 300w x 500h
Approximately 130ltr or 32gallon

1 x Rainbow Shark:
1 x Guppy blue male:
1 x Guppy Yellow male:
1 x Guppy Orange male:
1 x Guppy Black/Blue male:
1 x Guppy Orange/white female:
5 x Red eye tetra:
1 x Platys female:
4 x Platys male:
10 x neon terta:
2 x pink widow:
6 x white clouds:View attachment 253491

The widows need a actual school but four schools plus a bunch of livebearers and a rainbow shark is overstocked. My tank is the same size and my stock plan is 2 GBR, 6 guppies, five rummynose, 5 peppered cories, 5 cherry barbs, and an angel. I'm probably not even getting the last two.
Also, all your male guppies will harass your female to death. Same with the platies. The ratio should be one male for 2-3 females.
My stock recommendation for your tank would be-
Keep the neons and red eyes
Get rid of the minnows, shark, and the female guppy and platy. Keep the male guppies, pick two male platies, and get a school of cories. Also get rid of the pink widows. You could do a single angel or a pair of GBR or Bolivian rams.

Thanks for your feedback, however if i was to go with an angel, isnt this risky with the small neons and guppies etc ( once angel has grown up)
Why would i change my shark for an angel, i love my shark !!
My shark is quite placid and minds his own business. Hasnt hurt any fish to date and ive had him for 8 months.
I barely see him get outta his rock, but when he does, he's awesome!

Also
Not sure if i have 4 male platys, just a guess ( all teenagers at the moment) apart from the mum ( father died, i sucked him up whilst gravelcleaning :(... Found out when it was too late :(

Will take ur advice on the ratio of guppies though, and also the pink widow schooling factor.
Ps. If the widows are not schooled, will they be unhappy and not live as long? Whats the reason for schooling?

Pps. Are pink widows a natural or dyed colour ( bought in Melb vic)
Thank you.

Ps. If the widows are not schooled, will they be unhappy and not live as long? Whats the reason for schooling?..........
In the wild fish school to feel protected against predators, they feel safer, I don't think they would be unhappy in a tank, but would be better with others.........

They will also get aggressive and nippy. Your shark should really be in 50 gal or more, as an adult he will get more aggressive. You can always do GBR or Bolivians instead of an angel if you are worried about the neons.

Back
Top Bottom