Am i through the cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pso408

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank and have been doing a fish-in cycle for approximately 6 or so weeks.

I have an API master test kit and the results have mostly been the same since I started (ammonia .25, nitrites 0, nitrates 0).... I do daily 40% water changes and use prime.

Today I tested the water and noticed a dramatic change since I last tested (about 4 days ago).

Ammonia: .50
Nitrites: 2.0
Nitrates: 5.0

Is my tank cycled?
Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• image-3359378563.jpg
    image-3359378563.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 41
Also: yes that's a Betta and yes I researched what kind of fish it can live with. Everyone gets along. :)

Just make sure that you're doing water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites no higher than .25
Other than that, I don't see anything you could be doing wrong, looks fine. But no, your tank is not cycled. It is cycled when you have consistent readings of zero, except for nitrates.

Ok thank you for the info.

Here's another question..

In a few days I have to fly across the country for a week. My roommate is going to feed my fish for me but will not be able to do the water changes.

Any suggestions? I'll change the water the day I go and of course use some prime.... But anythig else that I can do?

Pso408 said:
Ok thank you for the info.

Here's another question..

In a few days I have to fly across the country for a week. My roommate is going to feed my fish for me but will not be able to do the water changes.

Any suggestions? I'll change the water the day I go and of course use some prime.... But anythig else that I can do?

How long will you be gone because if it's less than a week I would seriously consider not feeding while your gone. If longer tell your room mate only to feed once every few days.
Also done two large water changes before you leave with 1hr of each other to get levels as low as possible.

Back
Top Bottom