Amano shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GoneFishing said:
I dont think so. I just looked into the tank and saw it eating, but its entire tail was red..

Maybe eggs? I've never seen mine with then, so I can't say. If you figure it out, please post info. They're my favorite shrimp :D.

Here is a pic of the shrimp in question.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110529_204432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110529_204432.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 139
Mr. Limpet said:
Looks like an RCS (red cherry shrimp) to me. Mine are getting pretty big :D.

That's so weird I have had them for almost a month and it's just now showing color.. But when I bought them I looked them over and they all had the brown stripes that run the tail.

GoneFishing said:
That's so weird I have had them for almost a month and it's just now showing color.. But when I bought them I looked them over and they all had the brown stripes that run the tail.

Do a search for both and see which looks right compaired to your pic.

Mr. Limpet said:
Do a search for both and see which looks right compaired to your pic.

So after a quick search I found out that it could take several months for the cherry shrimp to show it's color.

That shrimp that was red is no longer with us.. RIP shrimp I didn't know what it was.. on a good note, my ghost shrimp let her eggs go and I now have baby shrimp in my tank! They actually lived and didn't become a snack!

SHRIMP17 said:
Which is a moe interesting shrimp the amano or red cherry shrimp?

Idk I don't think I have rcs.. I like the amano they are active, great cleaners. And they are quite large.. I'm sure rcs are more attractive to look at though

I've heard/read instances of some shrimp picking up pigment through the foods they eat, carotenoids, astaxanthin, etc. I don't know if that's the case here, that does look like a RCS to me also but I don't know much about amanos to tell the difference.

Idk I don't think I have rcs.. I like the amano they are active, great cleaners. And they are quite large.. I'm sure rcs are more attractive to look at though

I really like my AES, they look like mini lobsters without the claws (or color) lol. They're the best cleaners I have (hands down), but the RCS are more colorful. If you want color, look into CRS.

Here's a website that has almost every invert you can think of. Some of their prices are way outta line IMO, but it is a good reference guide.

Shrimp & Snails - Alpha Pro Breeders

Back
Top Bottom