Amano shrimp with eggs found dead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annegrrrl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a successful aquarium that has had the same inhabitants in it for over a year, without problems. I have one huge mystery snail, 15 tetras (neon, cardinal), a rasbora, two clown loaches and up until about two hours ago, three amano shrimp.

I discovered that my female shrimp was carrying eggs a few days ago and I was really excited! I set up the standby (smaller) tank as I was recommended to separate her from the rest of the aquarium if I wanted to see any of the fry survive. Clean aquarium, used only water from the main tank and made sure she had java moss and a lettuce leaf to hang/munch on (my Amanos LOVE that). Everything was great, she seemed quite content to be in the new tank; after a brief checking-the-place-out period she went right back to lettuce eating and fanning her eggs.

Day two of being in the tank alone, she was active as usual; I have just checked on her and I found her dead on the bottom of the tank. I am absolutely crushed and I don't know what I did wrong. I pulled her out and put her in the main tank just to see if she would somehow revive, but no... I tested both tanks and they are both testing identically:
NO3 mg/l: 10
NO2 mg/l: 0
GH: >10d
KH: 6d
pH: 7.2

Did I miss something crucial? Did the tank move stress her out? I feel awful. I was keeping such a close eye on her and now... :bawl:

If anyone has anything to offer as far as advice, good or bad, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. If it's any consolation it really could have just been her time.

I read your story and thought of two questions. What was the temperature? And what did you mean when you said "Clean aquarium"?

Clean = sterilized

I use boiling water to sterilize the little tank because it is my quarantine tank. I don't have to use it often, but when I do I am sure to sterilize it again as I don't want any kind of cross contamination.

The tanks are right next to each other in the same part of the house, temps were at 71F.

Sigh.

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom